Aluminum Truck Body Stats: An Eco-Friendly Work Truck
While there is a time and a place for traditional steel work truck bodies, the age of GREEN is making way for greater acceptance of aluminum, and Reading has a strong history working with aluminum. In fact, we were the first service body manufacturer to produce an aluminum truck body over 33 years ago. These eco-friendly service bodies offer increased fuel efficiency and decreased CO2 emission.
Using aluminum over other composite metals in the construction of service bodies makes for a cleaner production process and transfers external costs into a benefit. This explains why Reading offers aluminum for the construction of upfit truck equipment.
- Aluminum has superior corrosive properties that can reduce costly repairs across the life of the truck vs. other types of metals
- Reading uses only recycled aluminum, which requires only 5% of the energy it takes to make new aluminum
- Aluminum is 99.8% pure
- Using an aluminum service body can increase fuel efficiency by 8-10%
- By using aluminum, some truck models have dropped as much as 1,000 lbs of body weight
- Aluminum provides less wear and tear, improved safety, decreased gross vehicle cost, increase legal payload capacity and is supportive of compressed natural gas alternative fuel systems
- Reading understands there are some parts of the truck that should be steel, such as
- Compartment door panels
- Handles/locks and hinges